Saturday, May 07, 2011

Sekaiseifukudan: More than just Toys, Art from My Heart


Finally, my Sekaiseifukudan figurine series will be released today.
Except for the people in production and photographers, nobody has seen them in person. I am really glad and happy that some people already ordered and got them without seeing or holding them in person.

I was thinking long time about creating figurines of my characters with transparent form, the idea is something that I have been always fascinated to capture or create in my art work. I have been seeing some transparent figurines out there from long time ago, so I know it is possible to make, but I wanted to put a floating heart in every each one.

Having a floating object inside of a figurine — technically it was a big challenge nobody had done before — at least I believe for sure that it was first time to try for the artists at Heroine International Limited where my Sekaiseifukudan were produced. And they really tried, so much talent, so many methods, and so much time. Sekaiseifukudan is made by hard plastic and silicon filled, so the heart can float in the body, which nobody could achieve before or wanted to because of the expense. But producer Mike Watson at Inner Sanctum believed in me and all my ideas, so he agreed to make them how I wanted. And of course, as an artist I was really picky.

Because of their unique designs, not only materials, but also coloring materials, and painting on each of them, it was a really big manufacturing challenge. Being really picky about color and texture and so many things, it took a long time and a big effort to make them look PERFECT!

And here they are, every each one is so carefully made and packed in a beautiful custom designed black box, ready to be held in someone's hands.

I am really grateful to Mike Watson and Rachel Stone at Inner Sanctum and all the people who are still working at Heroine International Limited for making one of my biggest dreams come true! Jack Muramatsu, your photographs and posts have been really helping me out. Thank you so much Vinyl Pulse! Eric Nakamura, thank you so much for your support. I am really happy to be able to have release event at Giant Robot!

Thank you to all, and all your support!

Sincerely,

Mari Inukai

Sekaiseifukudan Presale open now!